Friday, September 02, 2005

I've just been reading on NYTimes.com and CNN.com about the destruction of Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath. Conditions in New Orleans continue to get worse. Thousands are being evacuated to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and other locations because the Superdome can't hold them all. Armed thugs are running loose in the streets. What was a natural disaster is quickly becoming out-of-control chaos.

Contrast that with the words of a song that just came up on my iTunes (I'm at work, so have the pleasure of listening to other people's purchased music):

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' Name

On Christ, the Solid Rock, I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood
When all around my soul gives way
He then is all my hope and stay

On Christ, the Solid Rock, I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand

How to reconcile these words with what is going on along the Gulf Coast? Yet I know these words are a bigger truth than the devastation. May they, and the God who is their subject and Author, bring peace to those who are beleaguered, despairing, starving and without hope.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Boy, the "sinking sand" really seems apropos!

I can't fathom all of this - but I will say that your point is really important. If we find our security (or hope) in governments, good will, preparedness, or human ingenuity, we're ultimately in dire straits.

As it is, I find myself asking God, "How long?"

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home