Friday, May 26, 2006

EDIT: I tried to post this post on Friday, but the Macs at work wouldn't let me post. So I'm posting this post now...all right, all right. Anyway, a flashback from Friday:

This is the first "normal" workday I've had all week. Strange to say that on a Friday. I'm sitting in my office, iTunes playing on the computer, shivering in the draught from the air conditioning vent above, busily compiling a MASSIVE database of ACU Today stories, from the present to its origins...somewhere in the seventies. Similar to my very first assignment at Creative Services, when I filled in literally hundreds of holes in the database for Dr. John's Perpetual Calendar. I spent a lot more time in the file room then than I'm doing now, though.

Last week, work was my life. I spent 35 hours at the office, frantically proofing, marking changes, updating files, writing copy, checking facts, and generally trying to make Ron's life easier during the last-minute rush for this issue of ACU Today. You'd think we'd have a better system for this by now...but the last week before deadline is always the craziest.

This week, however, my life has interrupted my work...I've spent as little as 45 minutes in a day this week at the office. Monday brought a funeral at Highland and then a lovely lunch with the Lifeteam ladies (and Ethan). Tuesday was moving day for Bethany (see previous post), and I spent most of the afternoon running errands. I was here early on Wednesday morning - but left town at 3:00 for our blogger rendezvous at Humphrey Pete's in Early, Texas. (See Beverly's blog for a summary of that supper...http://bevmann.blogspot.com.)

Yesterday I came to work at 10:30, then took a lunch that lasted nearly three hours as Bethany and I cleaned out the fridge and freezer and finished loading her car while also loading mine. She walked around our house one last time, and we let ourselves out and she locked the door. She followed me to Betsy's to help me unload stuff, and then she left one last time. I told her, "This isn't goodbye...it's 'See you in two weeks,'" which is true, but at the same time it's also the end of an era. She's the best roommate I've ever had. I will miss her.

Last night was another moving adventure as Calvin and Lorin helped me haul the rest of my stuff out...a few sticks of furniture, a TV and stereo, some clothes, and not much else. I am now installed in Betsy's house for the summer, with new roommates Leigh Anne and Sarah. Crazy transition times. But it's nice to be in a place where I can buy groceries again.

Maybe next week will bring a happier balance between life and work. The pendulum has certainly been swinging...it's about time to settle down for a little while.

Back to work...I've got at least 25 years to go before the end of this monster is in sight. (That's at least 75 issues, for you uninitiated...probably more.) Happy Friday! And happy Memorial Day weekend!

8 Comments:

Blogger happytheman said...

Katie it was great meeting you.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Katie - sorry you had to meet happy.

;-)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Katie..thanks for saving me a seat in class..man, you sit in the front though..girl, I can't be smokin my cigs in the front! (Just kidding all Katie's friends who may read this and go oh, I didn't know she smokes cigarettes..that's sick..and why would she do it at church..)

Do you know Megan Lowe..?..

6:29 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Happy - great to meet you too.
Scott - well, it was fun seeing everyone. I think I got more blistering comments from Clint than from Happy!
Bev - I really don't ALWAYS sit in the front - the back was full! And who has been spreading rumors about me smoking? Gross...

9:51 AM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

Katie smoking would be a bad thing. For her health. For her reputation. For her boyfriend. :)

3:59 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

no..I was talking about me when I said 'she'..and I don't smoke either..I think its gross too!! just a little joke...
hey jeremiah..I love your name!

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie smokes?!?!

3:30 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

oh man..sorry Katie...okay who is anonymous?

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home