Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Summer Readin' - Had me a blast

I don't usually title my posts, but I couldn't resist this pun. :) One of my favorite things about summer has always been more time for reading. That's especially true since I got into college...when the reading during the year isn't always what I want it to be. I'll probably post about books periodically all summer (don't worry, Clint, my blog won't be all "book reports"). In addition to skimming about 15 years' worth (so far) of back issues of ACU Today, here are the books I've read, finished or started so far this summer:

-Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks, a dark and sad but ultimately hopeful novel set during the Great Plague of 1666
-Alec Forbes of Howglen by George MacDonald, a charming love story edited by Michael Phillips and retitled The Maiden's Bequest
-Talk to the Hand by Lynne Truss, a no-holds-barred attack on rudeness in today's society. For those who are familiar with her work, it's like Eats, Shoots and Leaves for manners!
-Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller, a road-trip narrative from the author of Blue Like Jazz (just begun this weekend)
-Light from Heaven by Jan Karon, the final novel in the Mitford series (just begun today!)

Mmmmm. I LOVE summer reading. Maybe tonight I'll take a book or two to a coffee shop. Good books are always better when mixed with yummy smells.

12 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

Oh Katie..cute title...I am excited to hear about the books you read!

8:05 PM  
Blogger happytheman said...

Katie I bought that book when it first came out because of two different things. The cover was white with a volkswagen van on the cover and the title back then was "Prayer and the Art of Volkswagen Maintenance". It was a good summer read back then.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

are you guys talking about painted deserts...?

10:54 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Katie - Please do me a favor and go to an INDEPENDENT coffee vendor's. If you ever ended up at a Starbucks, my world would come crashing down around me ;-)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

Katie, glad you're reading stuff that you actually want to read (especially Through Painted Deserts). Bethany says that we should search Longview next weekend for some non-Starbucks coffee. Sounds like fun. Love you!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

awww..Jeremiah loves Katie..isn't that precious..

8:55 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Yep - I love people who love Katie.

5:52 AM  
Blogger happytheman said...

I guess I should explain "Painted Deserts (Prayer and the Art of Volkswagen Maintenance)"

Go to "The Leaf" buy coffee and a Partigas #1 for me.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

Bev--Heck yah I do!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Happy - I would, but I don't drink coffee, and I don't smoke! (Contrary to the rumors Beverly's been spreading about me...)

I do love Through Painted Deserts. And I love all of you. :)

12:04 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

What is a partigus?

Oh, yeah..sorry about that Katie..

5:40 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Katie...we love all of you!!!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home