Monday, June 26, 2006

I think I've decided what my dream job would be. (Aside from writing wonderful books, of course.) I'd love to earn my living by keeping all my friends in touch for the rest of their lives.

I just sent an email to Jake (in Houston for the summer) and brought him up to date on my life and Jeremiah's. I emailed my dear Charity (in Austin) this morning and gave her bits of news about several people we know. Every Sunday night I bring the Lifeteam up to speed on Jeremiah, and vice versa...he gets to hear all about everybody's kids and jobs and lives during the Sunday edition of our nightly chats. It's not gossip, because these are all people about whom I care deeply, and it's all information that they would want their friends to know. I treasure relationships above all else, and I love seeing people I love connect with one another. I want everyone to know that Dawne just moved into a new house and Jacque got to go see the British Royal Ballet at Kennedy Center this weekend, and that Jamie has a new boyfriend and that Kara and Dani and Tori and I are still trying to find jobs. I'm thrilled to know that Robert and Jodi are doing a great work down in the New Orleans area, and that Jake gets to make a CD with a group at his Houston church this summer, and that my friend Erin had a beautiful baby girl on June 2. I want to help foster that connectedness within my network of friends. I love being the connection point, but I don't want to be the only one. I want them to know what's going on with each other.

Too bad you can't get paid for this. But then, I wouldn't want my friends to have to pay me for that privilege. Isn't there some kind of a non-profit organization that exists for the benefit of helping friends stay connected? And I don't just mean cyber-connected, or connected via Facebook. I mean really knowing what's going on in each other's lives.

I guess it's just called friendship, huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

girl its the real hearts club...I am tellin ya ...me and candy are loving it..

11:48 AM  
Blogger Jacque said...

You could collect a $5 monthly stipend from all of us and might make a pretty nice living. :)

Jamie has a new boyfriend??

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home