Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Workin' too hard can give you a heart attack-ack-ack-ack-ack...*

What a week so far. Monday: staff meeting, getting the week off the ground, turning in my latest article, prepping for Freshman Blessing. Yesterday: Freshman Blessing, all day (well, 9-11 a.m., 1-7 p.m....yeah, pretty much all day). Today: Faculty meeting, tons of leftover lasagne, recovering from Freshman Blessing, and getting about 19 other things thrown at me. (And a much-needed break to visit Cole in the Writing Center.) And a birthday dinner with my darling sister Betsy, who is 22 today! Good times.

I am proud of this year's Freshman Blessing. Traditionally it's been a 30-minute pizza lunch in the Bible building rotunda, during which all the faculty try to meet all the freshman that they haven't met/taught yet. It's been rushed, chaotic, confusing and not very meaningful. This year, we tried something different: a "field trip" out to the Abilene State School, which has a rustic, charming lodge with a fireplace and a nice big kitchen. The weather was so gorgeous that we didn't need the fireplace, but we did serve snacks and dinner, and we played games and worshipped together, and had the faculty rotate among groups of students so they could spend a little time with everyone. And we all clumped on the porch for a BIG group picture at the end. Loads of fun. And very well-executed, if I do say so myself. :)

Sing Song countdowns (there are several)...
First performance: 7 days (next Wednesday, in ACU chapel)
First full-length show/Bethany's arrival: 8 days
Families' arrival: 10 days
Closing show: 10 days
Collapsing/celebrating/mourning the fact that it's over: 11 days

J is exhausted, stressed out, busier than he's ever been in his life, and yet quite exhilarated about the whole thing. I am exhausted and stressed out and missing him, yet excited to see him perform, and SO proud. Please pray for us...this week has been the roughest yet.

(Anne, I can't quite fully explain Sing Song...but see my posts from Jan. and Feb. 2006 for my musings on it - there are several.) :)

*From "Movin' Out" by Billy Joel

4 Comments:

Blogger Candy said...

Katie - the Freshman Blessing sounds incredible! Great plan. Imagine how important that made them feel. Very good. Hang in there girl. It's almost over!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Katie -- I always love time with you, my Oxford-bound, literary friend. Thank you for your constant encouragement and for sharing sopapillas with me. I look forward to seeing your Jeremiah in Sing Song next weekend and perhaps lunching with you again soon!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Matt Worthington said...

It's Valentine's Day... I'm going to be talking about Love, of course.

Ha! You should come and see... I promise I'll have a few jokes to keep people awake.

All the Alex stuff went well. They wrote an article in the Optimist about it, you should check it out.

Peace!

5:01 PM  
Blogger T'auna said...

Katie~ It was such a blessing to see you in passing on Thursday even if it was just for a few seconds. One more week you can make it through it.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home