Thursday, January 11, 2007

New Year's Resolutions I am trying to keep:

1. Writing at least 3 pages a day - journal, articles, whatever
2. Cutting down my excessive chocolate intake
3. Becoming less critical of other people
4. Exercising 3 times a week

Reading goals I'm trying to meet in 2007:

1. Read at least 24 books (2 a month) of the 30+ I own but haven't read
2. Read at least 6 new authors (I've already read one - Maeve Binchy, a charming Irish storyteller. Her book The Copper Beech is heartbreaking and beautiful.)
3. Try a new Jane Austen novel (I've only read two)
4. Try a new Shakespeare play
5. Read at least one biography and one memoir
6. Read four volumes of poetry (I have started Ted Kooser's Delights and Shadows, and I quite like it so far)
7. Read two books on writing (not difficult because I am addicted)
8. Read a few young adult books (ditto)

New things to try this year:
1. A dance class
2. Yoga
3. A few new CDs/artists
4. Recipes from The Little Black Book of Chocolate, which I received for Christmas

Lots of trying. But my favourite moments so far this year have been when I stop trying. When I just drink in the sunrise outside my window...when I wear a soft new sweater and feel pretty without any effort...when I open my heart to Frankie or Julie or someone else at Lifeteam, or open my arms to hug Mom or Abi or Jeremiah. When I settle in with a good book, or sit down with Leigh Anne and gab for hours on end. When I savor life...and just let myself be.

9 Comments:

Blogger Walking by Walden said...

You have great reading goals. I should adopt them myself. Good to hear from you.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I really like what you said about your favorite moments. We set out to do so much and yet a sunrise or a sunset can be missed. I have spent alot of time at the Nelson Park pond these last few months.I feel like Jane Goodall of the ducks. I could tell you alot about the behavior I have observed or my little favorite ducks like the one who's wings stick straight out all the time. Its been so neat to be quiet and watch just watch...
...I hope you'll have time for a quick cup of tea with me at Monk's or Java in the middle of all that reading..I love you...so sweet..

1:50 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Katie, Great resolutions and goals. But, here's to "just being"

3:05 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Hey, am I the only one who sees a problem here??? You want to cut down on your chocolate habit, but work on recipes from "The Little Black Book of Chocolate"???

Just teasing, of course.

Just be. A philosphy I am only now starting to discover the wisdom of. Great idea.

3:35 PM  
Blogger happytheman said...

you a good woman Katie, you a good woman.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Cole said...

No, I saw the "conflict of chocolates" too, Scott. She seems pretty torn.

Why do women like to "feel pretty?"

8:28 AM  
Blogger Lucas said...

Alright. I just wrote everything Scott did, then checked to make sure nobody had posted it yet as to not look like an idiot. good times.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

katie - you are precious. i love your heart. i'd like to meet you for some of that tea myself. i think i could learn alot from you given the opportunity.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Vonnie said...

I also lke Maeve Binchy and Rosamund Pilcher. My reading of books has suffered because I read so many blogs. I gave Scott and Dina your hugs today. Next time you come to Hawaii you'll have to meet Dina - and Tiki.

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home