Friday, December 01, 2006

Snow Day

Scoff all you want, Blondie, but our bit of snow in Abilene yesterday was quite an exciting event. Here's what I saw out my window when I awoke:




I checked my email and saw that campus would wake up at 9:30, so I went back to bed for a while, then got up, dressed, showered, made myself a chocolate mint steamer sprinkled with cinnamon, and wrote. Ahhhh. What a lovely way to start a morning.

Jeremiah walked to my flat so we could go to campus together, and at 9:25 we were on our way when two of my sister's roommates (Megan and Leigh Anne) flagged us down from their front door. "STOP! School is canceled! Everything's closed today!" Could it be true? It was! Rejoicing in our good luck, we bid them goodbye and returned to my flat, where we cooked a lovely big brunch and watched the original Miracle on 34th Street. (I haven't seen the new one, but why would anyone bother remaking such a classic? It's wonderful!)

J slept most of the afternoon and I finished my Dorothy Sayers mystery, then wrote, then wrapped some Christmas presents before we met Happy, Bev and Cole for a long, fun dinner at Rosa's. Good talk time, good stories, and good Tex-Mex food (as always).

Off to Fort Worth to dance the night away with Cole and the rest of the Swing Cats. Cheers!

10 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I'm glad you had such a perfect snow day! A few evenings ago I saw the "Writer's Market" 2007 edition at Books-A-Million, and I thought of you!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I'm glad you had such a perfect snow day! A few evenings ago I saw the "Writer's Market" 2007 edition at Books-A-Million, and I thought of you!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Wait - you live in a flat? I thought you lived in Abilene ;-)

It was fun talking to you last night (and Jeremy, and Cole, and Beverly, and sorta Happy).

8:56 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

no scott..we have different degrees of flatness in Abilene and Katie was just talking about the flatness there at her apt....silly..

9:03 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

"Flat" was my first impression of Abilene (coming from Colorado).

"Crickets" was my second.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

so..we have flats and play cricket...

10:29 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

Katie - what an absolutely great day! You know how to do it, girl! Where is that flat? The view out your window looks so familiar to me! And I LOVE Miracle on 34th Street. I haven't seen the new one either. But I do own the original version.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't scoffing! These pictures look better than Happy's, whose looked like a dull grey road rather than a snow fall! The field across from your house looks EXACTLY like this field near our cabin!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Vonnie said...

How fun! I went to Rosa's when we were there in September. Nice restaurant.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you trying to make me jealous? Because it totally worked.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home