Wednesday, February 21, 2007

"Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

A sobering thought, especially on a sunny, bright blue, spring-warm Ash Wednesday. Nothing somber at all about the weather. But the noon service at the Church of the Heavenly Rest here in town was quiet and moving. I love that little nave, with its cool marble columns and gorgeous stained-glass windows, and its old, peaceful soul. Other than the accents, I may as well have been in England.

It's been quite windy this week in Abilene, and I've sat out on my deck the last few evenings and let the wind whip over me. It's felt like a cleansing agent, sweeping through me, emptying me of all the junk that builds up inside. I've asked God to let it leave me pure, like a clean white shell found on a beach, emptied and smoothed by the waves and sand. Such shells reflect light in a beautiful way, and they can be filled with good things. I want to be emptied of junk so I can both reflect and be filled up with Him...whatever that means, whatever it looks like.

Almighty God, to whom all hearts are open,
All desires known, and from whom no secrets are hidden,
Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of Your Holy Spirit -
That we may perfectly love You, and worthily magnify Your holy Name.
Through Christ our Lord,
Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

You are going to Oxford in a few mere WEEKS! How wonderful.

9:20 AM  
Blogger G'ampa C said...

...Whatever it looks like.

It looks like a servant, at once the Creator of all and the washer of feet. It looks like His body, seeking, loving, hurting, laughing, slipping back into the surf for another go. It looks like Katie, one of my favorite people.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home