Sunday, August 26, 2007

Oxford bits

Yesterday, after clearing out a basement closet in House 10:

Janine: Jacque! We found a whole box of kisses!
Jacque:You found Hershey's Kisses in the closet?
Janine: No, we found a box of pictures of black-and-white people kissing!
Jacque: ???

[Eventually Janine explained that we found several black-and-white photos of people kissing, including Rhett and Scarlett, and the famous sailor-dipping-lady picture from the end of WWII. Ah, the importance of syntax.]

This morning, during the children's church bit at St. Aldates:

Charlie [the rector]: What has an apple got to do with Jesus?
Small boy: Well, donkeys eat apples, and donkeys live in stables, and Jesus was born in a stable.
Charlie: I have great respect for your spiritual growth, but that is the wrong answer.

It's been a good lazy weekend. Wandering around snapping pictures (I'll post a few when I get them uploaded), chatting with Jacque for hours on end, clearing out closets and bookshelves. Camping out, temporarily, in Jamie and Jacque's old room on the House 10 first floor. And reliving tons of memories.

Today: a wonderful, worshipful service at St. Aldates which included a rambling sermon by Charlie and some amazing music. I adore the worship at St. Aldates - which today included singing a hymn set to the tune of "Danny Boy" (sounds odd, but it was very pretty). After church, Jacque and I took a hop into LUSH (I can just inhale in there and be happy), then had a pasta lunch in the back garden and a relaxing afternoon. Then I had a long solitary ramble round University Parks and City Centre (I never, ever get tired of peering through college gates and into bookshop windows), and a scone and tea at The Nosebag on St. Michael's Street. And now I am enjoying an evening with Cassandra Mortmain, charming narrator of I Capture the Castle. All in all, a delectable Sunday.

4 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Katiegirl, you are missed over here. I will send a long email soon...too busy right now. Just know that you are loved and prayed for and missed.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Brambleberry said...

It all sounds so splendid!

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I can just inhale in there and be happy." That statement has crossed my mind several times today. What a sweet thing. . .there are a few places and people and memories that stir those kinds of feelings - and it was good to see those words from you. You are in a good place, Katie. Love you!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

Sounds like heaven. I wish I were your sidekick for the semester but, alas, I'll have to live it vicariously through this blog.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home