Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Simple Satisfaction

Much of the last two days have been spent cleaning, inventorying, organising and just generally taking stock of the contents of #9 and #10 Canterbury Road. The students arrive Thursday (the day after tomorrow!), and we've got to make sure everything is spick-and-span. This has included washing lots of towels and bath mats, checking to make sure all the rooms have fans and lamps and linens, stacking and sorting LOADS of books and a few movies, and going down long inventory lists for every kitchen. (When I was here, we were constantly losing dishes and forks from our kitchen, as it was one of the bigger ones where people ate frequently. I have eaten every kind of dish imaginable with a spoon - including spaghetti and other dishes definitely meant for consumption with a fork.) So, in an effort to prevent the constant migration of dishes and cutlery, every kitchen now has its own distinctive set.

Today we took a marathon trip to the closest IKEA store, to buy some replacements and some new things. Tomorrow: more organisation and the last of the distribution. It's hard work, but it does yield a certain satisfaction. I adore these houses and this program, and what they have given to group after group of students. They are a safe shelter, an exercise in community living, and a comfy place to call home for a semester. So it's quite fulfilling to prepare them for this group of students coming our way. I do love welcoming people, being a hostess, and I will be so happy and excited to welcome 29 students and our visiting faculty members, the McVeys, to two houses stocked and sorted and freshly scrubbed clean.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Katie,

I am a frequent reader of your blog and I must say that it is such a blessing every time I stop by. Know that I will be praying for you as you enjoy time in your beloved Oxford. England is one of my favorite places on earth:)

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the incoming students! I hope you enjoy every moment with them.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home