Monday, September 10, 2007

Wales, Day 1 (and pictures...finally)

I'm finally back at my little house in Cowley, after two nights at the ACU houses that turned into five. I spent Wed. night over there as we were leaving early on Thursday, and crashed there on Friday night after we returned from Wales. And the weekend was just so chill, and so fun, that I couldn't leave. I absolutely adore living in the basement with the boys (see previous post), and as the evenings stretch on I find it harder and harder to leave. I love sipping tea with them in the morning as they drink their coffee, joining in their outrageous travel plans, listening to them jam out on their guitars, and being a part of the cozy craziness that is dungeon life. I am quite glad to be back with sweet Lizzie tonight, though. (I needed a dose of femininity...and some non-pasta food. She was an angel, and made salmon and new potatoes for dinner.)

Here, finally, are a couple of photos from the trip, and a brief outline...

We left Oxford around 7 a.m. on Thursday, and drove to Bath, our first stop. I had been to Bath once before, on a frigid February day when I was nursing a bad cold. We quite enjoyed ourselves in spite of all that, but it was so much nicer this time. The weather was cloudy but quite pleasant, and we so enjoyed ourselves just walking around.

The boys and I visited beautiful Bath Abbey:



We found an incredible breakfast special - full English breakfast for 2.75 pounds - at a sidewalk cafe afterward, so took a mid-morning break:



From left, meet Moose, Bryce and Nick, three of my beloved basement boys. They're mellow, sweet and fun, and they don't seem to mind having a girl in their midst quite often. :)

We went from here to the Georgian House at Number One Royal Crescent, which is the only house on the block kept up in period style. The guides in each room were all charming little old ladies, quite knowledgeable about the house and its contents.

Darling Jacque and I wandered a bit after that and then got delicious fresh takeaway buns at Sally Lunn's. Mmmmm. I have the recipe for that bread somewhere...must make some more soon.

Drove to Bristol and spent two hours going through the Empire and Commonwealth Museum. Quite fascinating, especially the current exhibit on slavery around the British Empire and the world. A bit of sensory overload, but some profoundly interesting stuff. And it's amazing how much more interesting the history of Zimbabwe is now that I know someone from Zimbabwe. (That would be Mike, Jacque's sweet boyfriend. He has some amazing stories.)

The rest of the pictures refuse to upload, so I'll try again tomorrow and save the rest of the story for then. Happy Monday!

3 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

moose!..that boy has hung out at my house and he is so sweet! The pics are beautiful and I wish I was there and you could show me everything but I will just sit back and enjoy the pictures.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Anne Dayton said...

Have I mentioned how jealous I am? Because I am. This all looks amazing.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

I'm jealous too. I love seeing the boys faces. It brings them to life. Love the stories. Love the pictures. Keep them coming!

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home