Thursday, October 25, 2007

Off Again

The ACU students are off to Italy, to Austria, to Turkey. My laundry is off the drying rack in Grace's room. Jo is off to Cardiff to see her family for a few days. My classes are off until 6 November (I have to give a presentation on the night we reconvene, but we're not thinking about that yet). And tomorrow noonish, I'm off to Austria.

I've been a bit freaked out about leaving as I have three major things due in the next two weeks, but if I can't take a holiday during mid-term break, then when can I take one? And when Brittany, Kamerie, Ashlynn and Brent said they were going to Salzburg and Vienna, well, I couldn't resist.

My reason for loving Salzburg is the same as many people's - the beloved movie in which the hills are alive, which has been my favourite since I was nine years old. The girls watched it the other day to prep themselves for the trip, and I caught the last hour. It's such a wonderful love story, family story, courage-and-hope story, and a God-story. And, of course, the music is fabulous.

I took a trip to Salzburg in April 2004; my roommate Joy and I just drank in the quiet mountain peace for four days, and (of course) I took the Sound of Music tour...saw the gazebo and the palaces and the church and the gardens. I probably won't do that this time, but am planning to walk through the gardens again, and gaze at the Alps, and stroll the narrow strassen, and eat Apfelstrudel. I'll do some reading work on the plane, then forget all about school for a few days.

And, as always when I travel, there's the delicious anticipation of coming home. I love the feeling of stepping off the bus at Gloucester Green and breathing in the air of Oxford again. Home never feels more like home than when you've left it for a while. And then, of course, there will be hugs and stories at Canterbury Road. My basement boys have scattered to wild and various places this week - I can't wait to hear their tales of adventure. And share a few of my own.

I hope, also, to have better luck uploading Austria pictures than I've had with Ireland pictures. So perhaps you shall see some photographic evidence of my trip soon. Until then, so long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, goodbye...

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Enjoy your Austrian adventure! Can't wait to hear all about it when you return. :)

10:43 AM  
Blogger julie said...

I am so jealous. Sing for me while you are there.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

I once got my hair cut by a man who was born and raised in the very town where The Sound of Music was filmed. He told me so.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home