Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Midweek Musings

One would think I'd know every corner and cranny of Oxford, the way I'm obsessed with poking around it. I do know lots of them by now, but I've spent loads of time since I've been back discovering new ones. A few recent delights:

~Hong Kong House on South Parade in Summertown (actually several miles north of our beloved North Parade), which the guys have dubbed the "Oxford Little Panda." We went en masse on Monday night and devoured copious quantities of fried rice, with various yummy morsels of chicken and veg stirred in. All for 4.50 per person. Glorious.

~Gastro's Deli in Jericho, just up from the junction of Walton Street and Little Clarendon. They make their own apple cake and the owner takes a justifiable pride in it. It is delicious. And they sell candy canes for 20p, which I find charming.

~The Oxfam shop on Cowley Road, where I hope to soon be volunteering one or two days a week. A colourful hodgepodge of clothing, used books, Fairtrade chocolate and coffee and other items, and housewares always pleasingly arranged by colour.

~The Jericho Cafe, which has a red awning, wonderful homemade raspberry flapjacks, and big picture windows so you can watch the world go by while you drink your tea.

I'm reading this fabulous book - trying to savour it because it is SO wonderful and so much fun. I want to go to 1950s London and visit Penelope and her charming, daring friend Charlotte. And dance the night away to Elvis Presley and Johnnie Ray.

Off to prayer night soon at Canterbury Road. Happy Wednesday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

You are getting me so excited for Oxford! My only regret is that we won't be there at the same time. I'll have to make a treasure map of all your favorite places!

P.S. I tagged you in my blog -- check it out!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

I'm thinking that you are really enjoying life over there. I like that.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home