Friday, November 23, 2007

I Love Paris in the Fall*

Here, dear readers, is a belated (two-weeks-later) post about our trip to Paris. Due to the fact that I danced the night away at the St Aldates Thanksgiving Ball last night, I am fairly knackered, but just thought I'd share with you a few photos of our trip to the City of Lights.

Here's a shot from the boat cruise we took on Thursday night:



We went under all the bridges of Paris, and though it was pouring rain when we began, we were able to go out on deck at the end.

I spent Friday morning wandering with Moose, and between a tour of Notre-Dame and lunch at a creperie, we went to a place I had long wanted to see:



Sylvia Beach founded this bookshop as a lending library to the likes of Hemingway and Joyce. (It figures prominently in Hemingway's A Moveable Feast, which I read on the Eurostar train to Paris.) And it's book heaven...piles of books everywhere, and there are rumours of a resident cat. I found a 1965 edition - my favourite edition - of The Two Towers for 4 euros. And Moose was kind enough to indulge me in a long browse.

I spent a good part of the afternoon here:



The Musee d'Orsay has quite a lovely array of Impressionist and a few other styles of art...my very favourites were the dancer portraits by Edgar Degas.

And this is me with sweet Erin...we had such fun wandering the city together.



More pictures to come in the next post!

*from "I Love Paris," which runs through the film French Kiss

4 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Oh how I love Paris too! Thank you for sharing the photos... I'm there in thought!
Cheers!
- Jo
http://followtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com

9:55 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Oh, I just love these pics! Please do post more, even if they're weeks later. "Paris is always a good idea." I think I'd like to go back, as I feel I myself have changed and would probably have a very different experience. Maybe you could come with me? (Then I'd be in Paris with you...tho not like *that*!) ; )

5:12 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I love Paris. Your pics are beautiful. So glad to know of your happy times.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Oh, and I wanted to say that Degas is my favorite, too. I remember the Orsay well.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home