Thursday, November 17, 2005

Quote of the day (so far): "There's something patriarchal about carving a turkey."

So says my friend Seth Shaver, who carved our humongous turkey at our Oxford group's Thanksgiving feast last year, and will more than likely carve again tonight. My sweet potato casserole, topped with pecans and brown sugar, is simmering in the oven; my mouth is ready for rolls and cranberry sauce, and my arms and spirit are aching for a few hugs. This is community at its finest.

Hard to believe it's been a year and a half since we returned from the other side of the pond. In some ways it feels like forever. So much has happened to all of us since then...a summer apart, Cheryl's death, Jenny and Kyle's wedding, Kayla's wedding...Jamie's and Adrienne's graduations (and moves to Hawai'i and Atlanta, respectively)...Charity and Seth's engagement, Chris Meeks' engagement, Jacque's and Lara's returns to Oxford, Blake's move to Arizona, another summer, and so much more. New members have joined the family and been welcomed with open arms. We've had moves and breakups and road trips and book clubs and parties and tons of late-night talks. Fajita Fest 2K5. Movie nights. Pine Cove. Chinese Food Friday. And hours upon hours of hanging out at House 9 Abilene.

Some call us a cult. Others call us strange. My sister rolls her eyes and says with a half smile, "They're obsessed with each other." It's true. But we are more than all these things. Our bond goes deeper and stronger than any of them.

Yes, Seth, there may be something patriarchal about carving a turkey. But there's something real and deep and true about what will happen when we gather tonight. No matter when, where, how or why, it is always true when we get together and always will be.

It's called family.

1 Comments:

Blogger rkw said...

Katie, I stay confused about the House 9 entity. Kayla feels awkward around you guys. I don't. You guys are neat together, and I, ever fascinated by the human condition, enjoy the observation of such a familial group. You guys have your own language and rituals. It's really like studying a sub culture. I'd like to hang with you guys more, but I get excited about finding a niche for myself in a seemingly inpenetrable unit. Maybe it shouldn't be a goal of mine. You are right about people thinkin gyou guys are wierd, but I don't get it. Kayla and I argue sometimes about it. Oh well. It seems I've gone off rambling.
rkw

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home