Wednesday, October 19, 2005

If I ever have my druthers regarding my own office/work space, it will have WINDOWS. I swear. It's so easy to sit in here, in my cardigan with the air conditioning going, and forget that it's a beautiful sunny day. It can be 100 or 60 degrees outside, and this office feels the same. That makes me sad.

I think our passion for climate control, pest control, weed control and other control reflects a larger obsession with controlling our uncontrollable lives. It also reflects a disconnect with the natural world. Now, I hate bugs (most of them) and weeds (especially stickery ones) as much as the next woman. I like a steadily whirring ceiling fan on a hot night and I love a roaring fire when it's cold. But most of all, I enjoy coming home and being able to open both the front and back doors, and let the day's air - warm or chilly - blow through my house, welcoming the day's temperature and mood into my home.

There's something about the smell of sun on tall grass or warm pine needles that can't compare to a store-bought candle, no matter how pretty it smells. The freshness of a wind (not fan-generated) in your face is an experience that's leagues beyond air conditioning. And even if you're in a climate-controlled environment, being able to look out the window and recognise that there is a natural world, and that it's beautiful and wild (even in Abilene), is a great blessing.

I challenge you: Spend an hour outside today, no hand-held fans, no artificial room scents, no veil between you and God's wild creation. See what it does for your soul.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cole said...

C. S. Lewis felt this way, I believe...he wrote that the invention of the "internal combustion engine" annihilated space in such a way that humans could no longer appreciate nature. Interesting post, Katherine.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

I wanna take this a step further and talk about something we mentioned yesterday in Christian Worship but never really developed. What would our churches be like if we gathered in an outdoor amphitheater that was on a hillside surrounded by trees where you could see all of God's grandeur. Do you think that would add a different dynamic to our worship?

3:57 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

O.K. - I'll spend the day outside. Can I use sunscreen???

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremiah, can you remember when you were little and we had the Lamberth Reunion at Buffalo Gap? We had Sunday worship in an open-air chapel. It was awesome to look at the sunlight on the trees surrounding the chapel and feel the breeze while we worshiped.
Mom

9:31 AM  
Blogger rkw said...

I went to the woods to live deliberately and not to find out that when I died, I had not yet lived.
Transcendentalism at it's finest Miss Katie. As always your words are refreshing and challenging, especially as I complain more and more about the fact that my AC doesn't work right now.
Grace and Peace

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very wise. I agree with you entirely.

--Josh Castle

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home