Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Cycling and cookies

As of yesterday, I have joined the ranks of Oxford cyclists. That's right. I have a BIKE. A funky used green one, bought at Cycle King on the Cowley Road. I have a lock and two lights and everything. Not a basket yet, though that will soon be forthcoming, I think.

I cycled over to Canterbury Road to show off my new toy, and wound up joining some of the crew for a mad game of barefoot Frisbee in the Parks. (Cold grass=better than playing in loafers.) I've added a grass stain to my favourite jeans (the ones I've had since I was 17), and some more memories to my cache.

Last night, after cycling back to Cowley, I attempted chocolate chip cookies in a Celsius oven with no measuring cups, no baking soda, and chopped-up chocolate bars instead of chips. The verdict? Well, I took a batch over to the boys today and they were gone in half an hour. So they must have turned out all right.

This morning I cycled to the open market at Gloucester Green (traffic in Oxford is absolutely terrifying on a bike), and bought fruit and paper towels. Walked into the basement kitchen a little later, and Moose said, "Hey. Welcome home." :) It's nice to be loved.

My first official Brookes event comes up on Saturday, which is also my twenty-fourth birthday. And school starts in 12 days. Get excited...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! You have an English bicycle! That is certainly something to swoon over. :)

Thanks for your sweet e-mail, sweet girl. Life is hectic right now, but I will get back to you soon. In the meantime, enjoy the Basement Boys and the bicycle!

9:37 PM  
Blogger julie said...

I am excited for you, precious girl.
Take a picture of your new bike so that we can see it.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Jaci said...

Your so brave to attempt British traffic on a bike!

I've had fun reading about your new life over there. Yay for adventures :)

10:49 AM  
Blogger summer said...

We'll be on the road this weekend, so I will go ahead and wish you a birthday full of everything beautiful a bit early. We miss you, too.

Love across the miles,
Summer

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Summer, I will be on the road tomorrow, so may I also wish you a happy early birthday? I hope you do the proper thing and have tea and something far too sweet for your own good. :) Enjoy your day!

3:50 PM  
Blogger ~lady j said...

katie dear, it's so nice reading about your adventures. and yes, please take a picture of your new bike! love you... :)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Happy 24th Birthday, Katie! Enjoy the bike!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

Happy birthday my love! May your 24th bring you strength, wisdom, courage, and a capacity to love much greater than you've ever known. You are missed and loved (and not just by me).

11:29 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

i was so excited when i got a bike that i named it..i think you should name yours..

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home