Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Dungeon Farewells



This morning at approximately 5:30 a.m., I hugged Bryce and Nick good-bye - for now, anyway. They're headed to Frankfurt on one last crazy trip, while the rest of the group flew home today. Several hours later, I hugged Nathan, Jordan and Moose (and a few of the others) good-bye at Gatwick Airport. And while I'm so grateful for the semester we've just had, my heart is hurting.

I've done really well the past two days (I'm usually hopelessly emotional before big changes). I've only teared up a few times, sitting downstairs in the small computer room across from the kitchen, where Moose, Bryce and Jordan have spent a significant part of the semester. The dungeon has been otherwise known as the Abode of Abide this fall - the place where you can come and just be. Nathan and Nick and I, in particular, have spent hours in the kitchen, writing or working or drinking tea or coffee from purple mugs, and someone is usually around playing guitar (Jordan does double duty as he also plays the harmonica). There has been much watching of random YouTube clips and MUCH drinking of coffee. And copious consumption of pasta and frozen pizza and On the Hoof sandwiches and takeaway Chinese from Hong Kong House and orange juice and chocolate Digestives (Bryce's main diet staple) and milk. Many late-night chats, mostly with Moose, and much, much abiding.

I spent hours yesterday walking around City Centre with Nathan, Moose and Bryce. Lunch at the St Aldates Tavern, a trip to Ben's Cookies, and a climb up the tower of the University Church of St Mary the Virgin. Then we all went out for kebabs last night (spicy chili sauce included). And I made sure to get five bear hugs before we all split off today. Jordan and Nathan both thanked me for living with them in the dungeon. To which I replied, "Thanks for letting me."

Here's to the five guys who made my semester more than I ever thought it could be. Here's to French presses full of strong coffee, homemade salsa and batches of crumble and peach bread, icicle lights in the Catacombs, long walks in various cities, story after story of travel adventures, and myriad random and fascinating insights into the male mind. Here's to being the sister and friend to five of the best brothers a girl could ask for. (They've even given me a title - I am officially the Dungeon Dame.) Here's to a semester that embodied all of the adjectives the dungeon guys love to use. This semester was sweet, awesome, sick, intense, legit, result, and my personal favourite: righteous.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leila McGrath said...

Nice blog! Just want to say "Hi", from a fellow Fleming/Little Women lover.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

Sounds divine that dungeon of yours. I would enjoy a little abiding there too I imagine. It is hard when things change especially when they've been so very good.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home