Friday, January 11, 2008

The small things

Crimson peppermint candle, new Over the Rhine CD playing softly, music from Lizzie's TV upstairs, cozy slippers (also red), desk lamp glowing brightly, stacks of half-finished and yet-to-be-started books on the desk. (I'm trying not to buy any more books until I've read at least a couple of these.) Peppermint hot chocolate in my stomach. Hours of talk tonight with Lizzie, about weddings, siblings, friends, a dog called Mayday, and other randomness. Wind and rain on a chilly night, and the prospect of a walk or bike ride into town tomorrow.

My three weeks in Texas were amazing. Chaotic, but fun and chock-full of family and dear friends. Scrabble with Jon by the fire; chatting to Adam about his new life in Seattle; coffee with Walker; lunch at the Hickory Street cafe with Julie S. Breakfast with Dawne, dinner with the Danleys, four days in Ruidoso with my family, a whole week and a half with my beloved J. I miss him already, though it's only two months of separation this time (he's coming for Spring Break). And a bit of me, as ever, misses the close-knit family at Highland and dinners at Rosa's and lunches at Los Arcos.

But I am back in my own cosy room, no longer living out of a suitcase, and ready for a new semester full of plans and dreams. New ACU group arriving with Cole on Thursday; Jacque comes in this weekend; St Aldates is still here and as vibrant as ever. And it will soon be time to bury myself in schoolbooks again. Meanwhile it's high time I had a browse in Blackwells and a scone at Queen's Lane.

I so enjoyed the visit back to my Texas home - my past and future. But for a while longer at least, Oxford is my present, and it's good to be back.

Let the new year begin!

2 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

Hi Katie, I caught a glimpse of you at Highland, but didn't get to say hi. You looked great, though! Write on!:)

8:59 AM  
Blogger ~lady j said...

Katie, you're so precious. :) i'm so glad you get to live in Oxfordtown, it makes me very happy to think about you being there. :) I hope you have a delightful weekend!

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home