Friday, November 18, 2005

Numenorean
Numenorean

What does it mean if your honest answers to a quiz's questions resulted in the answer (or one of the answers) you were hoping for?

My two great heroines in Middle-earth are Eowyn, the White Lady of Rohan, and Arwen, the beautiful Elf whom Aragorn takes as his queen. I don't know of any Numenorean women...I suppose they had all died by the time the story of The Lord of the Rings began. But I know the blood of Numenor, the blood of Elendil, flowed in Aragorn's veins. Were I part of the races of Middle-earth, I would be proud to be related by blood to the King.

Our all-too-sensible postmodern society has lost much of the old reverence for noble blood. People are no longer expected to achieve based on their bloodline, but rather on individual merit. This can be both a blessing and a curse: on the one hand, people have the chance to make a name for themselves apart from the negative history of a family. Yet a strong and noble heritage can call us to become the best possible version of ourselves - and what a shame it would be to toss that aside in favor of individual achievement alone.

Generally speaking, bloodlines and pedigrees don't exist in the spiritual world. But on a hill outside of Jerusalem, on a Friday long ago, my King bowed His head and let Himself be crucified for me. Three days later, He took up His sword and defeated an Enemy whose power had grown greater than Sauron's ever could. And He won. He vanquished death and all its power over us, and made it possible for me to someday enter the White City, not as a foreigner from a distant land, but as a daughter of Numenor. As both the daughter and bride of the King.

I'm probably not related to Jesus' family by means of natural bloodline. But in the truest and highest sense, I am both humbled and proud to be related, by blood, to my King.

6 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I messed up on the previous comment, but here is the more researched comment...

Arwen is at least related to the Numenoreans. She is half-elf, and in fact her uncle Elros (brother of half-elven Elrond) was the first High Ruler of Numenor. So there is a relationship between the Numenoreans and Arwen.

My other comment was...

Leave it to you to find a spiritual thought from a LOTR quiz ;-) That's a GOOD thing, BTW.

Lastly, I went to see Harry Potter at midnight last night (G is a Harry Potter scholar), and I realized that the "Cocacola Student Film Competition" winner reminds me of you. If you haven't seen it, a woman who works at a movie theater is baffled to discover that a fan of an upcoming movie has arrived several months early to camp out for tickets. When the tickets go on sale, he can't get out of his tent. But the woman who works the counter reserved a ticket for him.

Anyhoo, the woman in the film reminds me of you everytime I see it. Has your nose been itchin'?

2:57 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Katie ~ this is Julie (from Creative Nonfiction class). I don't remember how I first stumbled upon your blog here, but I love reading it because your writing is beautiful and, at its very core, heartfelt. I greatly admire that! You exemplify "great writing," and I hope you keep it up online!

3:43 PM  
Blogger rkw said...

Hey where did you take this quiz?

5:09 PM  
Blogger rkw said...

BTW 38% of the folks that took the quiz(I found it on my own) turned up Numenorean. I was elvish if you are interested but I think the quiz is faulty. I tried to rig it to give me Entish and I got Numenorean.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Happy thanksgiving, Katie

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home