Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I have to brag on Cole. Or just give him a massive shout out. After spending last Friday evening listening to JamisonPriest play their charming folk songs at Mezamiz Deux, I bought their latest CD, Dreams I'll Never Know. And I am hooked. I can't stop listening. In fact, it's playing right now as I write this blog entry. If you don't own it, you should contact Cole about obtaining a copy. Right now.

I'm a fan of mellow guitar and gentle, lilting "ramblin'" songs (Jenni's favorites) as well as tender love ballads and rollicking tunes that tell stories or are just fun. I love the thunder in the chords of "Weatherman" (the first song on the CD) and the rich, sometimes unexpected harmonies of Cole's and Jenni's and Ed's voices. But what really grabs me about these songs are the lyrics. I'm a words person, so naturally, the words in songs mean a lot to me. And three of the songs on this CD that have absolutely grabbed my heart were written by our friend Cole.

I first heard "Lost Generation (The New London Song)" in a Honolulu living room last summer...the other side of Scott's duplex, where we girls were staying. Cole brought out his guitar and played it for us, and Krissi and I sat there sniffling as she recorded it on video. She's from Overton, not far from New London, and the rest of us - Karen, Laura and I - were struck by the quiet tragedy of the story. The line "Today all the playgrounds lie cold in the sun" still gives me chills.

"Small Town Sara" may soon be the subject of an article...I CANNOT stop listening to this song. It's about a waitress who dreams of the big city, but spends her days serving plate-lunch specials and iced tea and smiling at her customers. I've worked in a small-town coffee house, so I identify strongly with Sara. Granted, the Ground Floor was a summer/holiday job, and I always knew I was going to leave it one day. But I was once the girl who "poured her soul in every empty cup" and had customers who "loved me like their own." And even while I pursue another path, I miss that life. I loved it. And it loved me back.

Finally, "Infamy" is the story of a woman who lost her husband at Pearl Harbor, and it's heartbreaking, but beautiful. She keeps a pair of unworn Mary Janes in her closet, as if waiting for her husband to come back and take her dancing to "the big band and the horn." Even her turn signal is "blinking jump-swing time" as she thinks about him. It's gorgeous. Makes me remember walking around above the sunken Arizona at Pearl Harbor. (To which, bless him, Cole actually took me, on my last day in Honolulu. Thanks, Cole.)

You can read the full lyrics at www.jamisonpriest.com. But you should really get a copy of the CD. The words are lovely by themselves, but with the music, they're pure magic.

8 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

Cole is awesome...I loved hearing him sing that Al Stewart song...too bad he misbehaves in church!!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

Yes, thanks KT. Remember the Kahala.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Jacque said...

It is a great album - well said, KT

5:52 PM  
Blogger laura g said...

love the cd, love ed, love jenni, hate cole so much. three outta four ain't bad.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'm gonna have to buy the CD since Cole waited until I went to bed to play it!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I love this! The lyrics and music are indeed a stunning combination.

I LOVE the French word-a-day site! I ran across this blog and thought I should share it because the entire right side is full of links dealing solely with books and writing. Some aren't great, but a few are real treasures and it's fun to browse.

http://booksellerchick.blogspot.com

8:26 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Katie, I agree with everything you say here. JP does an amazing job with this CD, and being a words person, too, I really appreciate Cole's songs in particular. I was happy to have heard them play Friday, too. Infamy colors the rest of the CD for me--it is by far my favorite, and my little girl, Anna, who is three, loves Weatherman. She asks for it all the time in the car by saying, "Mommy, play number #1, pleeeease."

8:30 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

BTW, it was nice to meet you on Friday, too. :)

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home