Friday, July 07, 2006

My life is a swirl of words. Over the past few weeks, I've written about sisterhood, success, country music, ballet flats, relationships, best friends, and most recently, my experience acting in a church Passion Play. I've been working on that article for quite a while today. And...(drumroll)...I just clicked on the Radiant magazine Web site and saw that my article "In the Presence of a Hero" is up! You can read it here.

It's been an encouraging week for me as a writer. Yesterday I was notified that this article was accepted, and I also won a free T-shirt for telling the authors of Consider Lily, my most recent read, why I liked the book. (It's classy, smart and funny - quite different from most chick lit - and it actually has a moral. And the protagonist was an English major!)

I've also written emails, of course, and taken notes for a couple of profiles for ACU Today and a recruiting guidebook. And I've journaled and talked to friends and dashed off a few thank-you notes. Words...words...words.

I love words, of course. They don't always love me - sometimes they're stubborn or elusive or just plain hard to work with. But I'm learning that the secret is to show up at the page or the computer. Having ideas helps, but even if I don't, the simple act of writing something opens up my fingers and my mind. As Julia Cameron comments, "As we suit up and show up each day at the page or the camera or the easel, we have an 'eye' that becomes the 'I' present in all that we do." And inspiration is much more likely to strike if you're working faithfully.

All that to say - Please read my new article! And have a wonderful weekend filled with sno cones and baseball games and rolled-down windows and all the delights of summer. Cheers!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERY nice, Katie! I'm not as good with words as you are, but I really enjoy reading words put together well.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Katie...for expressing your gratitude for the brothers that the Lord places in our paths.

Good male camaraderie can seem so hard to come by..but oh so sweet when it does..

I really enjoyed the article and eagerly await more from such a gifted writer!

So glad to find your blog as well...
You wear your "heart on your sleeve"...so to speak..an essential quality in great writing...:) God Bless, Kelly from PA

10:36 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

you made me feel good, thanks.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Oh, isn't the devil cute...SHUT UP!!!!

I thought this article was exceptional - I have commented on several occasions to other that I love this very quality about you - you let gentlemen be gentlemen. That's really quite noble.

Not that I AM a gentleman - after all, I'm about to tell discom, "BITE ME!"

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home