Thursday, July 06, 2006

I love authenticity. I crave it in relationships, restaurants, stories, Mexican food (especially salsa), chocolate, ice cream, communication and character. Most of my readers know how much I love local restaurants/coffee houses - because they're real and quirky and unique. I also love people who are real and quirky and unique. (Take a look at my best friends.) I love real dark chocolate, homemade baked goods and ice cream, dinners made from scratch, and honest, deep-digging conversations.

But today I'm wearing a soft pink skirt that is 100% acrylic, but feels like cashmere. I got it waaaay on sale at Target, where I doubt they even sell cashmere. And it reminded me that there are a few other fake things I love:

-Velveeta. It makes great queso with a can or two of Ro-Tel. Yes, I know it's fake cheese, but it's gooood.

-Rhinestones. I can't afford real diamonds in such lavish quantities as I can rhinestones. And I'm a girl, so I sometimes like the extra glitter.

-Optical illusions/magic tricks. I guess these are part fake, part real. But they're just cool.

-Yarns that are synthetic (what the heck is polyamide?) but are sooo fuzzy soft.

-Scarves that aren't real silk, but are as pretty as the ones that are.

-Fake tans (if well applied and NOT orange!). I'm not in favor of skin cancer, but I AM in favor of a healthy summer glow.

-Email. It may not be a real conversation, but it is VERY handy, especially when most of your friends live out of town.

-The fake leather pants I have worn once or twice in my life - hey, they weren't as expensive as the real thing, and they turned me into one of Charlie's Angels for Halloween one year!

Anyone else? Fake things you love?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN TO THE QUESO~~~ THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE IT. WE DO IT EVERY CHRISTMAS EVE AND WE COUNT THAT AS COOKING IN MY FAMILY....

OTHER FAKE THINGS I LOVE:

MY NAILS....

MY SPRAY ON TAN....

MY FAKE I.D. - OH WAIT I DON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE NOW THAT I AM 25......

MY FAKE BOOBS.... DANG IT... WRONG AGAIN..... THAT IS PAM ANDERSON WHO HAS THOSE NOT ME (SORRY - I GET US MIXED UP)

SCOTT TEMPER - I KNOW IT IS FAKE... DEEP IN HIS HEART HE HAS UNBRIDLED LOVE FOR ME....

YUP... THAT IS FOR IT NOW....

2:33 PM  
Blogger Jacque said...

You wore leather pants? hee hee hee.

A few fake things I love:

Peach Squash - it's fake juice with no redeeming nutritional value, but it's good.

Fake eyelashes - one of the best parts about ballet productions.

Cheese Whiz - even more disgusting than Velveeta, but so good on backpacking trips.

Highlights - I like to think that getting highlights brings out the little bit of blonde I do have lurking on my very dark head.

Las Vegas - too much to handle most of the time, but it really is a lot of fun. However, let it be known that I will take the real Paris ANY DAY over the Paris hotel in Vegas.

Correon - imitation granite that looks great and is even easier to clean.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home