Thursday, August 31, 2006

Happy almost-September, everyone! The mornings are actually classifiable as "cool" now; when I leave the house at 7:45, I can drive to campus with my windows down and even shiver slightly in the breeze. I've been watching a lot of sunrises since I began my new job - Tim and Julie's house has tons of front windows, and the light just floods in when the sun rises.

I can't believe I've spent a whole week in my new job (without any major crises or problems - yet). :) I have my own office - with a window that looks out into a tree! - and a large bulletin board that is already half full of schedules and reminders, and two lovely lamps that add ambient light. Glenn (my boss) keeps a supply of M&Ms (which he calls "stress pills") in his office, adjacent to mine, and Carlene (across the hall) has a large candy dish shaped like a frog, which holds yummy soft peppermints. So we're well-stocked for sugar, which is good, because on weeks like this, we need it.

My first three days on the job were fairly calm - either the faculty or I, or both, were in meetings much of the time, and very few students came in with questions or problems. We're off and running now, however, and I've spent much of my week directing traffic, answering students' and graduate assistants' and faculty members' questions, and sending student workers to make copies of various documents. (This job requires a LOT of delegating.)

On my first day I received FOUR bouquets - one from Dad, one from Julie, one from Jeremiah, and one from Betsy. And on Monday, John and Evelyn Willis sent me more flowers, with a card that says, "We appreciate you!" Bless every one of their hearts. I'm so glad to have people who love me. :)

Speaking of love, Glenn tells me every day how glad he is that I'm working in this office, and Carlene (who handles most of the student traffic) is a sweetheart, and my student workers (some of whom are my age) are all very sweet and helpful. And everyone over in the dean's office, across the way, has been so good to me when I have questions. I'm slowly settling into this role. Lots I don't know yet, but it will come. For now, I think I'll steal another handful of dark chocolate M&Ms.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

m&m's come in dark chocolate and i wasnt informed?!?!?!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

mmmmm... dark chocolate! I've been looking for these, but haven't found any. Eat one for me.

Glad to see your blog. I've missed reading them, but know you have been busy.

6:40 PM  
Blogger julie said...

anonymous, we don't know who you are, so how could we tell you?

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a good point!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

I can't believe I didn't know about those dark chocolate M&M's!! Gotta have some! I'm so excited for you! This job sounds like just the place for you at just the right time. By the way, we need to get togther sometime. I'm gone this week Thurs-Sun. Maybe next week?

7:53 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Here's hoping every week is as rewarding. You know, there is a bit of irony here - your office window in Abilene looks out at a tree, while mine here in Honolulu looks out at a high-rise condo. (OK, I have another set of windows that look over the trees, but that ruins the irony).

I love and miss autumn. EsPECIALLY the mornings. Ugggg.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home