Tuesday, August 08, 2006

"The sea was angry that day, my friends..."*

Or life was angry, or something like that. Starting last night, it's been one interesting return to Abilene.

First we stopped three times to go to the bathroom (on a less-than-four-hour drive!) between San Antonio and Abilene. This was funny, but after a while I just wanted to get off the road. Betsy's small bladder has been a family joke for years...but it made the trip seem LONG yesterday.

Then Leigh Anne and I almost set the kitchen on fire trying to make pasta for dinner. (This was after she had accidentally poured a whole batch of noodles into the sink, rendering them inedible. And after we discovered that we did NOT have useable mozzarella cheese, as we thought. Sad day.)

Then it hit all of us (Leigh Anne, Bethany and me) that this is our last week of living together. Bethany moves to Nashville in less than two weeks. Leigh Anne starts her senior year of college very soon. And me? I still have NO IDEA what I'm going to do - so I'm freaking out. Big time.

Things did brighten up a bit with an ice cream session (Ben & Jerry's Phish Food, Haagen-Dazs Mayan Chocolate, and Godiva Chocolate Raspberry Truffle)...YUM. Unfortunately, even rich chocolatey ice cream cannot heal all ills. After ranting to my patient J for at least the fourth time that day, I fell into bed, exhausted.

This morning, it was a three-chocolate day by 10:30 a.m. (read: stressful morning). Dropped bagel on the ground, trouble locating the photo CD I needed at work, more anxiety about the future, etc. etc. And such a long to-do list for the week that my head aches just looking at it.

Fortunately, I've gotten lots of good email today. And applied for four jobs. And hoped desperately that something will happen for me. Because right now it seems that I'm the only clueless one. No job, no permanent home, no idea about what's going to happen. And that is not a fun place to be.

Apologies for the whining, dear friends. I'll post about something fun soon. I promise.

*George Costanza - a random Seinfeld episode

7 Comments:

Blogger bcdees47 said...

That's the one where he poses as a marine biologist and has to save the beached whale. Priceless.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Vonnie said...

Katie,
I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

"Angry like an old man returning soup at a deli"

Whine all you want! Goodness knows you listen to ours enough ;-)

And I see you've decided to throw your hat into the "Title of the Week" ring. Sneaky - Seinfeld quote - verrry sneaky.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

baby, whining is why we are here!...

6:13 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Katie..I sat in a parking lot day before yesterday washing my steering wheel with my tears! I wrote out a prayer and started the car and went home. Today, I am headed to my new job. I promise that you are going to get a job and it will be exactly where you are suppose to be. As for me, I think God was walking with me through some spiritual character building..maybe to be still and know that He is God.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Clint said...

i don't know about you but this whole walking by faith thing sucks. i want to know where i am going.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

I've read your blog from time to time, got here through Discom, and truly believe that when the job you are supposed to have is ready for you, you will find it. I know it's hard, I've been going through it too, but it will get better, and you have some awesome blog and real friends to help you when you can't see that.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home