Friday, April 27, 2007

Friday at last!

~Jeans with impossibly high-heeled sandals are everywhere today. Come on, girls! Wear some flip-flops! Don't you know it's Friday?

~This week I'm reading Betsy Lerner's The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers, from which the following passage comes:

I would like to believe that there are brilliant poems and novels tucked away in drawers and closets across the country. I would like to believe that there exist correspondences as rich and revelatory as those between Vincent van Gogh and his brother Theo, from Rilke to his wife about Cezanne's powerful influence, and between Flannery O'Connor and the woman identified only as "A" in O'Connor's collected letters, The Habit of Being, which provides some of the most astute thoughts on morality and truth that one is likely to find anywhere.

Rich and revelatory correspondences, indeed. I am part of several, via paper, email and phone (sometimes all three), and I give thanks for them frequently. You know who you are. :)

~Vivid, colorful pictures of spring blooms on port2port make my heart very happy. Few tulips here in Abilene...but nearly all of my neighbours have roses.

~Still thinking about Blue Haven...and waking up to Scott's "ramblin' " music in the mornings (yes, Julie, I did space that double-single quote combination)...and remembering rugged tree-covered mountains and hot soup after long hikes and skies sprinkled with diamond stars and a little rust-coloured dachshund trotting at our heels. Almost like a dream, indeed (see previous post).

~It is absolutely too gorgeous to be stuck in an office today. But here I am, holding down the fort for another 80 or so minutes...and counting...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie -- do you want to do lunch on Monday or Friday this week? I hope you are enjoying the weekend sunshine! :-)

11:36 AM  
Blogger G'ampa C said...

Little Sis-
Love your prose. The memories of our past shape our future with richness, don't they?

5:12 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I don't get high-heels on a college campus.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your engagement Katie! Just read your blog and saw the photo's of you and Jeremiah. I bet you were surprised and so very excited when it happened. Most women get the bended knee proposal but you had something special with Jeremiah singing to you. That sounds just like him.

Again, congratulations on your engagement!

Tell my nephew, "HE DONE GOOD!"

Frances
Jeremiah's Aunt

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home