Thursday, July 05, 2007

Summer Reading List

One thing I've always appreciated about summer is the extra chance to read. Even in high school, when I was going to camp and helping with VBS at church and playing games with my family and hanging out with friends, there were still far more lazy afternoons than there were during the school year, and loads more chances to stay awake far into the night, reading a book I just couldn't put down.

Even though I'm now working full-time, the office has been pretty quiet lately, so I've been bringing books up to work and devouring them behind my desk. I've also been reading in the evenings and weekends...not that that's unusual, but I love the feeling of being able to read for great stretches of time, restocking my brain, so to speak. Summer reading is usually one of two things: light stuff I'm treating myself to after the rigors of a school year, or complicated stuff I didn't get around to during the school year. This summer it's been a mixture of both, and here's the list of what I've covered in the last month:

The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers, Betsy Lerner
Many Waters, Madeleine L'Engle
The Sound of Paper, Julia Cameron (a gradual read over the last year, but finally finished)
The Penny Tree, Holly Kennedy
The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion
The Water Will Hold You, Lindsey Crittenden
The Space Between Us, Thrity Umrigar
Half Magic, Edward Eager
The Book of Jane, Anne Dayton and May Vanderbilt
French Women for All Seasons, Mireille Guiliano
The Last Summer (of You & Me), Ann Brashares
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,
J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, J.K. Rowling (midway through)

You can tell where my mind's been the last week and a half - but I've balanced Harry with a healthy dose of other fiction and nonfiction. Looking forward to the release of the seventh in a couple of weeks...also to the ACU Shakespeare Festival, which will almost certainly prompt me to read a bit of stuff by the Bard.

Happy reading!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha i've been reading at work a lot lately too because of the quietness...i may be asking you ideas for good books to read soon :) i used to read sooo much more when i was younger hehe

1:27 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I read my email today..

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got my journal from Barnes and Noble while visiting my parents this past week -- I'm a sucker for red bendy journals! I looked for a picture of it on the B&N website to show you and couldn't find it, but I noticed they had tons of other BEAUTIFUL leathery ones, so maybe you can find one you love. :)

2:36 PM  
Blogger J A Dunham said...

I loved Madeleine l'Engle's Walking on Water. That is probably one of my favorites. How did you like Julia Cameron's The Sound of Paper? I almost picked it up yesterday. I loved her book, The Artist's Way.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Vonnie said...

Wow and I thought I was a big reader - not even close to you, although I think I might have matched you one summer when I was babysitting for my cousins. I was about fourteen or fifteen and I babysat everyday while my cousin worked. They lived in an apt complex that had a play area out in front - so I pretty much read all day while the two kids, about three and five years old played outside. I would usually pick up just before my cousin came home. One afternoon my mother dropped by after she got off work and found me lying on the couch reading and the apt a mess. Boy, did I ever get in trouble!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Vonnie, That's something. I can read like two sentences with my girlies around.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home