Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Just back from an exhilarating run in the rain to roll up my car windows (I drove, for once, to work today) before the seats/CDs/miscellaneous stuff inside gets soaked. I am damp and chilly, and my hair is stringy, but, a la Marie Howe, "I am living."

I am also reading like a madwoman - Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking, Darryl Tippens' Pilgrim Heart (subject of our current study in Bible class), Holly Kennedy's The Penny Tree (an absolutely wonderful story, which I finished in three days), and still working on French Women for All Seasons. Dipping into poetry books, too, when I get the chance. And blogs, blogs, blogs. I love hearing about everyone's summer doings.

Glenn brought me a lovely hand-painted, wood-burned matrioshka doll from his trip to Russia. (They're the kind that nest - so it's actually five little dolls in one.) And the lovely Sarah sent me a package yesterday with a "reading is sexy" button and an autographed copy of Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible! Thank you, dear friend!

So it's a happy week. I am a happy Katie. :) And J ends his overscheduled sojourn at Cracker Barrel on Friday - YES! Now we can actually spend a little time together this summer (and do premarital counseling, which is, er, kind of important.)

Nearly the end of the workday, so I'm off home to change into dry clothes. I'll end with a quote I saw embroidered on a pillow yesterday: "May your home always be too small to hold all your friends."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so that was kind of funny when you came back in from the rain because i had just been IMing a friend and i was telling her that you were out rolling up windows and i hoped it wasn't going to start raining when you were out.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you make it before anything in the car got wet??

5:53 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

That afternoon summer rain was just beautiful yesterday. Did you see the rainbow? Sam was showing it to me then a giant bolt of lightening struck right in the middle of it. It was a beautiful afternoon.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Love the quote and Joan Didion-she is one of my favorites.

Glad to know that all is well.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home